Well only one more day of work and then we are on a three day holiday and we also have our grandboys with us... should be fun have already got our adventure agenda figured out..just need the weather to co-operate... I thought I would a couple of potato salad recipes for those of you who are going on family reunions and Canada Day as well as Independence Day picnics...
CREAMY POTATO SALAD
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise or 1 1/4 cups salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 hardboiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 6 potatoes about 2 pounds
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender.
2 Drain well.
3 Peel and cube potatoes.
4 Transfer to a large bowl.
5 Add celery, onion, sweet relish and bacon bits
6 Combine mayo, sugar, celery seed, vinegar, mustard, and salt.
7 Add mayo mixture to potatoes.
8 Toss lightly to coat potato mixture.
9 Carefully fold in the chopped eggs.
10 Cover and chill thoroughly.
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
Vegetable cooking spray
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
2 celery ribs, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
5 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
3 slices peppered or regular bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- Arrange potatoes in an even layer in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or just until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, celery, and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl until blended. Add potatoes, and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, if desired; garnish, if desired. Serve warm or chilled.
Buying bacon bits is quite expensive... this is how I make my real bacon bits. Partially freeze your package of bacon. Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide. You now have perfect raw bacon pieces to fast fry. No need to separate. They will separate during cooking. Perfect bacon bits.I just wish that the vaccum would start by itself as well as run by itself.. Have not figured out how to manage that yet but when I do I will be a millionaire for sure... How can you dust your home before you go on holidays and not be there for two weeks and then come home and it is dusty again... something is wrong with that picture.... all of you have a great weekend holiday and talk to you tomorrow...