Thursday, April 28, 2011

THRIFTY THURSDAY

MORNING EVERYONE
The rain yesterday was so depressing...I have had enough already so bring on the sun.. Busy day today ....just want to be all caught up.. Everymorning when I go downstairs I hope that a little Fairy has been there and done it all of me.... but no it is the same way as I left it ... not done!!! I love split pea soup but Grumpy does not so I do not make it very often but when we have a big ham then I get to make it , eat some and then freeze the rest for my lunchs..
SPLIT PEA
SOUP
WITH HAM
1 lb. pkg. dried green split peas (use 1/2 yellow & green peas)
1 lb. piece baked ham or meaty ham bone
8 c. water
2 med. onions, finely chopped & 1 onion, peeled & studded with 2 whole cloves
1 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 c. chopped carrots
3 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 c. minced parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cook 1 3/4 hours.
Serves 8.
Serve with  bread spread with butter.
In large stock pot or soup kettle, combine dry peas, ham and water. Heat to boiling over high heat and skim off any residue that rises to the surface.
Add chopped onions and whole onion studded with cloves, marjoram and thyme. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered 1 hour.
Add carrots, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium low heat, until peas are very tender, about 30 minutes. Remove whole onion and ham from soup. Discard onion. Cut ham into bite-size pieces; discard any bone. Return ham to pot.

THRIFTY THURSDAY
I am going to post a bit of a different way to save money... it is an app for your iphone.
http://receiptsondisk.com/
This app is so that you can store you receipts with the camera from your iphone or the new ipad 2... This is a great way to keep track of where you are spending your money and also how many times have you been looking for a big item receipt for a warranty..or return that little black dress cause when you got home you already have 10 little black dresses. Also heaven forbid that you get robbed and you have to do an insurance claim and they want to have the receipt for the stero , tv, or computer that you purchased and you can not find it... well voila you will have a picture of it.. I do not have an iphone but if I did I think I would have this app .. We all stuff the receipt in our pocket or our purse (change purse for every pair of different shoes receipt stays in old purse) now for sure it is lost..
Enjoy
Cheers
Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment